[arin-ppml] Fwd: ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Feb 28 14:48:08 EST 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> It seems that participation in the global
> routing table is not a requirement condition for
> being an operator, and that indeed there is no
> externally visible condition or attribute that can
> be seen to indicate whether an entity is an
> operator or not.

Whether or not someone is an operator is not a useful distinction. The current policy asks for whether or not they need the space, which is the useful attribute but you seem to be fighting against for reasons nobody can quite understand.

> And if so, do we trust that judgment sufficiently to have it be the sole arbiter of the market?

Um, no. The current policy is to focus on the need for space, which is in fact what ARIN is directed to deal with.

> If we do, then I'd think about removing my support
> for proposal 165, and instead support a proposal
> for an open, unfettered market for exchange of IPv4
> address resources *between operators*, with the
> results of transfers to be registered by ARIN.

You have consistently shouted out against people having gotten big allocations in the early Internet, and now you are suggesting you'd advocate for a policy that would allow all of these "privileged classes" (your words) to trade between each other without ARIN oversight?

I am beginning to believe that I fell for a troll.  Sorry, everyone.

--
Jo Rhett