[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:29:12 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

>>> The seller is not ARIN. Presumably in the hypothetical, they believed
>>> that their original buyer had a legitimate need and ARIN disagreed.
>>> The seller has no way to be sure of which way such a determination
>>> would go, and incurs all of the administrative cost of attempting a
>>> sale again, while still having the risk that the transfer would be
>>> rejected.
>>

>> A seller can always require buyers to show ARIN
>> "pre-approval" for need before initiating negotiations.
>

> Exactly, and this is one of the purposes of the ARIN STLS.

Presumably, the needs basis for listing on STLS is not indefinite. At
some point, an organization may abandon its original plan for address
space and no longer be eligible for the transfer under its STLS
listing. While this makes it less likely that a seller will have an
aborted sale due to ARIN denial, the risk would still exist.

Also, I am not sure if STLS listing exempts an organization from the
needs test under 8.3 (as they a test was already performed to get on
the list in the first place) or if a needs test is performed for the
transfer in addition to the test performed for listing on STLS?
Perhaps someone here can offer some clarification?

--- Harrison