[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-157 Section 8.3 Simplification

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Feb 10 23:23:58 EST 2012

On 2/10/12 16:57 CST, Joe St Sauver wrote:

> In some cases ASNs are used to help map lists of IP addresses to relevant
> networks/network operators. (For example, you might have a list of ten
> thousand botted hosts, and you want to map/sort all of those to the
> associated origin ASN)
>
> If it is easy for the community to get a merged list of ASNs and associated
> ASNames or Orgnames to use for that sort of purpose, I'd be fine with the
> modified proposal.

See; ftp://ftp.arin.net/info/asn.txt

Does this fit the bill?  If not, what does needed?

This seems to be built from the ARIN database daily, so when the ASN is
update via the transfer I assume this file would be update on its next
build.

> Alternatively, or additionally, it would be terrific if
> at least a list of all transferred ASNs (sorted by date of transfer) could be
> maintained and made available.

ARIN is currently publishing a list of IPs that have been transferred
under 8.3;

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/transfers_8_3.html

So, I would expect they would do the same for ASN if this policy is
adopted, but it wouldn't hurt to add this suggestion to the Rationale of
this policy.

And if it isn't provided upon implementation, submit a suggestion via
the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process;

https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/

Why sorted by date of transfer?  I'm not getting why this is important.

For more details, there is an ARIN-Issued mailing list and RSS feed.
However, it doesn't seem to include ASNs.  Also, it is not clear if it
includes transfers either.  Maybe it should include both ASN and
transfer activity too, I'll think about submitting a suggestion.

https://www.arin.net/participate/mailing_lists/arin_issued.html

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952