[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-163 Dedicated resources for initial ISP allocations

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Thu Feb 9 08:44:55 EST 2012

Jeff Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> writes:

> I am not opposed to the creation of a reserved pool for new businesses
> to receive initial allocations, but if this is done, I believe they
> should be non-transferable.
>
> As you might imagine, a person clever enough to slip through the
> cracks and grab himself an initial allocation, in a post-exhaustion
> world, would have a potentially valuable resource that existing
> businesses may wish to acquire -- not for the value of the business or
> underlying customers, but simply for IP addresses that they cannot get
> otherwise, or as inexpensively.

In principle, agreed.

In practice, a side effect is to create an incentive to have bogus
information in the RIR database.  A desire to have whois move closer
to reflecting reality was one of the ingredients that went into the
8.3 soup.

If you have any ideas as to how to reconcile this, I'm all ears like
Ross Perot.

-r