[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:50:09 EDT 2012

On 8/16/12 13:25 CDT, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Guys, the TPIA's biggest problem is that it specifies a layer-3
> solution,  but does not mandate any support for IPv6.
>
> IPv4 deployment would be easy via 4rd or some other v4-over-v6 solution
> if the TPIA said something about IPv6.
>
> It doesn't.
>
> As a Canadian, I would ask ARIN to tell the parties involved:
>     IPv4 is done. Go deploy IPv6.
>     the CRTC was told about the TPIA problem with IPv6 several
>     years ago, in an IPv6 task force they participated in.

Are there commercially available 4rd solutions?  Especially sufficiently
available to mitigate the competitive disadvantage this would put the
TPIA provider in as compared to the incumbent providers ability to
provide native IPv4?

I'm personally not aware of any 4rd solutions that are commercially
available, and even if there are, I doubt they are to the degree that
they wouldn't create a significant disadvantage for TPIA providers.
Basically, customers couldn't use the CPE they have now, in all likelihood.

So what you suggest is nice in theory, but severely lacking as a
practical solution as far as I'm aware.  I really wish it wasn't.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952