[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment - intent to revise

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 16 12:27:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Chu, Yi [NTK] <Yi.Chu at sprint.com> wrote:
> Rationale for the proposal:  I would add that it is for
> businesses to prevent the prying eyes of hacking.

Hi Yi,

I'm still looking for an explanation why current lawful practices for
anonimizing relationships between businesses are inadequate to the
task of hiding the identities of organizations which don't want their
online presence traced to them. Lacking one, I must respectfully
oppose the proposal both conceptually and in the specifics.

> Right now, a hacking teenage can find IP info on
> arin whois for any company with just a few clicks
> by just looking up the company name, which I
> find a bit un-nerving.  We made it unnecessarily
> easy for the hackers.

Hackers have no shortage of databases they can troll to identify a
company's probable IP address space. Trailing DNS to web and mail
servers. Googling for web server logs. Send a polite email to the
company and read the headers in the response. Like DRM on DVDs,
damaging ARIN's database will only obstruct the legitimate uses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004