[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 9 23:30:04 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Christoph Blecker <cblecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Steven Ryerse
> <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
>> “Regardless of any other ARIN Policy,  ARIN will allocate an IP block
>> matching ARIN’s current Minimum IP Block Size, to any organization or entity
>> that can reasonably demonstrate a need for an IP block.”
>
> How do you define "reasonably demonstrate"? How would you protect
> against abuse/fraud (such as setting up a shell company, submitting a
> request for IPs, and getting them without further justification)? With
> IPs being a limited resource, would you advocate to reclaim the IPs if
> they aren't in use (being that getting them from ARIN is so easy)?

Well, hold on a minute.

We've long held that BGP multihoming is sufficient justification for
an ISP to assign a /24 to a customer regardless of the customer's host
count.  Right?

A year, or maybe it was two years ago now, we looked at the question
of whether it made sense to require multihomed end users to get a /24
from their ISP if they could actually justify a /24 based on host
count at ARIN. At the time the end-user minimum was /22. We concluded
that as long as the recipient was willing to renumber out of the /24
to get a /23 or /22 that would be OK, it would be a net neutral or
maybe even net positive impact to both address consumption and the
size of the BGP table and it would meaningfully reduce the incidence
of painful renumbering.

That's worked out OK, right? If anything, the data suggests we might
be able to lighten up on requiring end users to renumber out of the
/24. Maybe go to a policy of: an end user can hold a single block
smaller than /22 but is not required to renumber out of it to get a
/22 once their need justifies it.

But so far we've only considered end-users. What about ISP startups?
Doesn't some form of the same reasoning apply to a *multihomed* ISP
startup?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004