[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 9 23:11:25 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Chris Engel <cengel at conxeo.com> wrote:
> While I'm generaly pretty sympathetic to privacy
>concerns, they do have to be counter-balanced with
>a need for accountability and that requires some
>degree of transparency. As long as ARIN is willing to
>accept a DBA/ Legal Trust in WHOIS for the name
>of the entity reassigned the block and a mailing
>address (e.g. .P.O box) for the address, then I
>don't see much issue there.

Hi Chris,

You've pinpointed the part of this discussion where the proponents'
arguments don't yet make any sense.

If the purpose of this proposal is to facilitate a godaddy domains by
proxy like system for IP addresses then the proponents must identify
the current consumers of SWIP information and both thoroughly and
thoughtfully address what might replace those functions when
identities are no longer readily available.

If the purpose is to hide the rare customer who genuinely needs it
then the proponents must explain why the current lawful mechanisms for
doing business anonymously are not adequate to the task.

Neither of these has happened.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004