[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Aug 9 17:31:41 EDT 2012

On 8/9/12 14:35 CDT, Christoph Blecker wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Steven Ryerse
> <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
>> I have to say I agree with William.  Is there not a way that access to this database can be limited to ARIN membership?  This won't fully satisfy his request for security which is reasonable, but maybe it reduces his security issue and at the same time provides members with the ability to find out who really is assigned a block.
>
> As somebody who has advocated for the rights of legacy registration
> holders, would this not introduce a disparity between these holders
> and those who have signed an RSA/LRSA and those who have not?
> Membership to ARIN requires a signed RSA/LRSA, as well as potentially
> a membership fee if you are not an allocation holder. How would you
> also account for other groups that would have reason to access this
> information, such as law enforcement?

There is a difference between published information and public
information,  The government makes all kinds of information available to
the public upon request, but most public information isn't actually
published.  There is a process to obtain most public information,
frequently with some kind of cost recovery.  However, only limited
information is actually published, made available on the Internet, or
printed in a newspaper.  In particular news organization frequently
request public information analyze it and then publish what they find if
it is interesting to their readers or viewers.

An example of this distinction is present today within Whois already;
"The published" Whois is searchable with a limited number of responses
per search.  Where as Bulk Whois is also public information but requires
a signed agreement with terms and conditions of use and a different
process to access it,

I support Whois data being mostly public information.  But, I also
support "the published" Whois, what is anonymously available, being
limited to allocations and direct assignments made by ARIN.  And, then
the subscriber reassignment data only being available on a more limited
basis with an explicit agreement and user login.  The point being while
public data, subscriber reassignment data, doesn't necessarily need to
be anonymously available either, and there are valid privacy concerns
with it.

You shouldn't have to be a member or even have an assignment to get
access to subscriber reassignment data, but requiring an explicit
agreement and adherence to legal terms and conditions of use, with
revokable access, might not be a bad idea either.  This would even allow
for people to watch the watchers so to speak. Allowing ARIN and
subscribers clear recourse if access to subscriber reassignment data is
being abused.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952