[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 9 02:31:24 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Steven Ryerse
<SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com>wrote:

> So because of ARIN’s policies and their unwillingness to assign me
> additional IPv4 resources, I am left with only one other viable solution.
> That is to go out on the open market (thru Bankruptcy Court or not)  and
> buy a Legacy /22 from somebody who has one to sell and pay them for it and
> use that block.  I would prefer not to go around ARIN and prefer to get the
> IP Block we need directly from ARIN – but - I have now tried to do that
> without success.  I think our request was reasonable based on actual need.
> I didn’t request something crazy like a /20 or whatever.

Hi Steven,

You don't have any interface addresses from your two ISPs? They haven't
assigned you /28's and /27's to anchor functions which should only appear
on one or the other link? What about the /26 of RFC1918 space for your
corporate LAN, can you easily move that into part of a global /24 assigned
by one of the ISPs? Surely at least a couple friendly customers have a
short-term need for extra /28's. You only need to fill one more /24 to
justify that /22.

There's actually a point to jumping through these seemingly silly hoops: it
causes you to gain and demonstrates that you have gained something more
than the most basic understanding of the issues surrounding IP address
management. You're going to need that later when you look for yet more
addresses and, to be blunt, the rest of we consumers of IP address blocks
are going to need you to be both able and willing to shuffle creatively
when addresses are tight.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004