[arin-ppml] private whois record

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Aug 8 02:32:16 EDT 2012

On 8/7/2012 2:30 PM, Kevin Kargel wrote:

> [...]

You have no direct need to find my home address because I'm using the
Internet, either.

> Get similar legislation passed as respects IP addresses and the same will be
> true in the country the legislation is based in.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

> Taxi and bus services that do provide a public exchange service are in fact
> required to display their contact information in human readable form.  This
> is a more valid comparison.

Actually there's quite a few that don't... limo companies typically
don't provide anything except their registration number, which may or
may not have a public address or phone number associated with it.

But if I'm not providing services to you, why should you care anyway?

And, for quite some time (perhaps even still) it was possible to obtain
an IP address range and use it as a unique identifier on a private
network... so should those cases also be required to have public contact
information?

Matthew Kaufman