[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Apr 28 01:12:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, William Herrin wrote:

> Have you considered the double-standard in place here?
>
> Where you specify a DHCP pool for always-on DSL users who may well
> hold a particular address for months, ARIN does not consider itself at
> liberty to inquire into the customers' identities and is able
> "validate" the use regardless. Yet if you explicitly assign them
> /32's...

I don't see it as a double-standard.  If, by whatever process, you've
manually assigned an IP to a customer, you will have a record of
this, mapping that IP to the customer (with very few exceptions, most, if
not all, of which I would call idiocy).  If the IP assignment is via some
automated process (DHCP, IPCP, etc.) then you likely have a pool of IPs
for automated assignment, and regardless of how long those automated
assignments last, I wouldn't expect you to have records (other than logs)
mapping the assignment to a customer.  In this case, you report the IP
pool as X IPs for Y number of Z-type customers.