[arin-ppml] Revealing /32 customers?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 26 17:19:07 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 1:36 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> 1. Do current ARIN staff procedures have situations which place a
> mandatory requirement for an ISP to reveal (under NDA or otherwise)
> customers to whom less than a /29 of address spaces has been assigned?
> By "mandatory" I mean that ARIN staff will not accept an alternate
> form of demonstration that the /32 assignments are in use. The
> customer identities are required.

Bill - A party requesting space must show that the present space is
in use.  While this generally won't involve us asking for individual
customers names, I can imagine circumstances where the ISP offered
documentation doesn't suffice and we ask for more detailed data
including customer names.

> 2. If ARIN staff procedures are in fact as described in #1, from which
> NRPM policies do those particular procedures derive?

Verification of utilization information (as required by NRPM 4.2) is
not constrained in the information that ARIN might request (or more
often, what an ISP might offer) as evidence of utilization.  We are
generally flexible, but do on occasion ask for multiple sources of the
similar data to compare and confirm veracity (this can catch folks who
want to generate creative "utilization" evidence via perl scripts...)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO