[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 26 09:36:31 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:35 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2011, at 1:01 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> But what they hey, as long as you've broached the subject:
>>
>> In your view, which of the other four RIRs presently implement a
>> transfer policy whose minimum path through the policy-derived process
>> appiles as restrictive or more restrictive rules on the recipient than
>> ARIN's? I won't ask you to "prove it" in each case, but as few of us
>> here are experts in other RIRs' policies I will ask you to explain
>> your reasoning.
>>
>> My statement looked to the horizon, to the possibilities, but I think
>> it might be interesting to know the immediate game on the ground as
>> well.
>
> Bill -
>
> The RIRs work (via the NRO cooperation effort) to maintain a comparative
> policy overview which you make use to make such judgements based on your
> own perspective of what would qualify as more or less restrictive:
>
> <http://www.nro.net/policies/rir-comparative-policy-overview>

John,

The guidance I get from:

http://www.nro.net/rir-comparative-policy-overview/rir-comparative-policy-overview-2011-02#1-3-2

is that only LACNIC and RIPE maintain policies ARIN might consider
"compatible" under 2011-1. APNIC and AfriNIC would each need to adopt
new policy of presently unknown restrictiveness in order to have
compatible needs-based transfer policies. Each of their policies is
presently inward-looking only, so all four would need to write new
policy of presently unknown restrictiveness to take advantage of ARIN
transfers.

Actually, I'm not sure about that last sentence. We've all been
assuming that reciprocity is expected, but rereading draft 2011-1 I
find no explicit reciprocity requirement. As 2011-1 is understood by
ARIN, does an RIR which does not permit its addresses to be
transferred out-region but does apply a needs basis of unknown
stricture to transfer recipients qualify to receive addresses under
2011-1?

Would anyone care to dispute the analysis that all four RIRs will
write or rewrite transfer policies in order to be compatible with
draft 2011-1 transfers, each binding ARIN to presently unknown
restrictiveness (lower bounded in that it must be "needs based") in
the resulting out-region transfers of ARIN-managed addresses?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004