[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 25 05:08:34 EDT 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:37 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:26 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> Regardless, the 2011-1 draft from 10/14 includes no language directing
>>> ARIN to refuse out-region transfers based on any ARIN-region criteria,
>>> best judgment or otherwise.
>>
>> It provides a requirement that both RIRs agree to the transfer. That requirement
>> allows ARIN to reject a transfer on a case by case basis if necessary. I agree it
>> is not ideal, but, I still believe it is the best safety valve possible under the
>> circumstances.
>
> John,
>
> How about it? Is Owen correct? Under 2011-1 where a registrant in good
> standing has requested an 8.3 transfer to a RIR that had been found to
> have a needs-based policy and is either not suspected of fraud or has
> passed an audit, are there any circumstances not specifically written
> in the NRPM in which ARIN would not "agree to the transfer?"
>
> "Inter-regional transfers may take place only via RIRs who agree to
> the transfer and share compatible, needs-based policies."

The first one would be approved.  The requests that occur thereafter
would be increasingly scrutinized for potential fraud.  A consistent
pattern of address usage that is different from the documented need
from the requests could still be found to be fraudulent, even if any
single request was valid.

Obviously, if the community has a consensus view on how such cases
should be handled, it would be preferred to have policy language
which expresses such.  I do not believe that it is necessary to have
such language on day one; staff will use the tools at its disposal
to detect and address fraudulent requests.

FYi,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO