[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 20:39:35 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's unacceptable IMO to have some vague concept like  "the board will
> probably suspend the policy
> or implement an ad-hoc remedy if someone abuses it"
>
> An example of a failsafe would be  "You can't effect a specified
> transfer of any part of an allocation received
> in the past X months,  or an inter-RIR transfer of any part of an
> allocation received in the past Y months"

I would encourage you (or anyone in the community) to submit a policy
proposal along these lines.  (I know Owen also had some suggested text.)  If
we get such a policy proposal moving along through the PDP now, we could
have it implemented via the normal calendar in about 6 months if there's
consensus for it.  If significant abuse materializes before then that cannot
be easily dealt with by ARIN under existing policy, it would also be good to
have something that we've already discussed and come to rough consensus on.
 That way the Board could implement a draft policy that has already had
significant community discussion (rather than creating an ad-hoc remedy or
suspending 2011-1) if it becomes necessary.

Personally, I think ARIN already has a number of tools at its disposal to
make gaming the system expensive and uncertain enough to limit abuse.   I
would also support something like the above, but I don't think we want to
hold 2011-1 up for another 6 months while we deal with that issue.

-Scott