[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 21 20:44:43 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2011, at 5:31 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> I am allocated a /16 for my 50,000 customer Smartphone business so I
>> can stop using my ISP's addresses. I configure the addresses on my
>> DHCP equipment which assigns them to each always-on smartphone. Fast
>> forward 30 days. Another company offers me $100,000 to convert all the
>> phones to carrier NAT and transfer the /16 to them. I accept. My
>> paperwork "proves" all this. Do I fail the audit?
>
> Unless you somehow made fraudulent claim in requesting the addresses,
> no number resource fraud would be found.  That seems unlikely based
> on what you indicate above, but obviously the actual materials supplied
> in the original resource request would govern.

Thanks John,

So to summarize: I would find it difficult to be a repeat offender,
but as long as I dot my i's cross my t's and content myself with just
one grab, draft policy 2011-1 as presently written would enable me to
buy a Lexus by raiding the free pool and more or less immediately
selling the results out-region... to someone with no access to a free
pool operating under a much more permissive needs-based justification
than ARIN requires. And with little risk: at worst really just the
loss of the $4500 allocation fee.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004