[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 21 16:59:49 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 10/21/11 12:21 CDT, William Herrin wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Randy Whitney
>> <randy.whitney at verizon.com>  wrote:
>>> Would you recommend more specific text here? How about something like
>>> "share compatible needs-based policies as determined by the
>>> [AC|Board|NRO|ICANN|POTUS]"?
>>
>> I did, way back when. I suggested "share compatible needs-based
>> policies as unanimously determined by the board of trustees" or
>> something to that effect.
>
> As long as the text makes it clear that the board only does this once and
> then reviews things when the policy of another RIR changes or someone calls
> another RIR's implementation of policy into question, I could support with
> something like this.  But if it essentially turns into the Board having to
> approve each individual transfer, that just won't work.

Hi David,

ARIN interprets policy text in the least restrictive way that still
makes any sense. They have to or they'll be sued. So they'd interpret
it to mean that transfers do not need individual board approvals but
RIRs need compatible-policy certifications by the board.

I would not object to making it explicit.

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004