[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 20 20:31:13 EDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 8:05 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> I see  from the draft that it is proposed ARIN throw caution to the
> wind and automatically accept whatever the recipient's RIR rules are
> as long as ARIN staff interpret the receiving RIR as having a
> "compatible needs based policy that the other RIR will use to evaluate
> the need of the recipient".
>
> There's really no community benefit of even listing the restriction
> when it gets that weak,  as  ARIN's own justified need policy is the
> most restrictive.    Some RIRs have less restrictive policies  to
> evaluate the recipient,  therefore, the result is _all_  RIRs
> actually have  policies for evaluating the recipient that are
> compatible with ARIN transferring addresses.
>
> Why bother with the restriction, on the off chance another RIR will
> come up with a stricter criteria for receiving addresses, resulting in
> incompatibility with ARIN's  justified need policy?
>
> That is... there's not really RIRs that would have a policy resulting
> in them rejecting a transfer that ARIN would approve in their own
> region,  and if there are,   just let the receiving RIR enforce their
> own policy rather than encumbering the Inter-RIR transfer rule  with
> some ambiguous notion  of "compatibility".

For clarity, "compatible, needs-based policy" will be interpreted for
outward transfers as a requirement for the other RIR to have a policy
which: 1) requires the recipient to have need for the address space,
and 3) that the recipient must demonstrate that need to their RIR for
transfer approval.

Under the proposed policy text, it does not matter if the other RIRs
requirements are more or less strict than ARIN's, as long as the other
RIR requires the recipient to demonstrate their need for the address
space which they're obtaining from the party in the ARIN region.

I am not asserting that is a desirable policy outcome or otherwise,
but simply providing this information to assist in understanding how
the proposed policy text would be implemented.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO