[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 19 20:47:00 EDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:28 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>  The requirement is that the AC must explain its changes to the
>>  policy text if the policy text sent to last call is different
>>  than what was put before the Public Policy meeting:
>
> John,
>
> I chose my words poorly. Please allow me to rephrase:
>
> I would like to see the AC request a ruling as to whether changes of
> this magnitude within section 4 of the PDP process are defensible as
> mere changes to the draft versus the new text being considered a fresh
> draft policy subject to entry into the process at section 2.

The changes that occur to a draft policy text after presentation
at the public policy meeting can be quite extensive and include
any action including rewriting, merging, or abandoning. I believe
that you are seeing the result of a "rewrite" of the draft policy,
and this is noted as specifically allowed by the PDP for policies
after PPM, with the protection being that any change results in
another last call to the community.

Note also that you do have the option to petition for the original
policy text to be sent to last call, if you do not like the action
taken by the ARIN AC on the draft policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO