[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 19 17:54:54 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 5:17 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>>> Besides, doesn't this language prevent inter-region address transfer
>>> due to mergers or acquisitions? If I want to buy a web hosting shop
>>> and move it off shore, why should I be denied?
>>
>> I don't remember inter-regional M&A coming up before, but from discussion with Staff last week it appears this has been some small demand for this for a while now.  However, its not clear to me that most of the community was think of this issue when we discussed inter-regional transfers.  That's not to say we shouldn't, but I'm just not sure we should try to do it all in one bite anyway.
>
> International M&A transactions often don't appear to be interregional,
> because the acquiring parties often have business units in our region
> which actually end up being the acquiring business unit.  As long as
> the infrastructure making use of the addresses is being acquired as
> well, the processing of these requests is relatively routine (and is
> generally between in-region businesses, even if one is held entirely
> by an international firm.)

Hi John,

For the sake of the argument, let's put a web hosting company holding
a /20 in El Paso. They're bought by a Mexican firm which puts the
servers on trucks and moves the operation to Juarez.

2011-1 as previously written says: 8.2 bought the company. 8.2 bought
the infrastructure. 2011-1 LACNIC has ARIN-compatible policies.
Transfer to LACNIC. Done.

2011-1 as posted today says... not an 8.3 transfer. 8.2 says... in
region transfers. RSA 8 says... hmm, you do not appear to have any
ARIN-region infrastructure with which to maintain your justification
for those addresses. RSA 14b says... we'll take take those address,
thank you. Buh bye!

Now, I'm sure this particular case happens at least several times a
day, but seriously: separated from section 8.2 and 8.3, draft 2011-1
was sufficiently comprehensive to handle it. Merged with section 8.3,
it isn't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004