[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 6 06:00:49 EDT 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 3:42 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> The IPv4 space will run out on its own soon enough... I just don't see
> how the incredibly small amount of increased overhead on an incredibly
> small number of allocations is even REMOTELY worth the additional impact
> to the routing table, which we'll all have to live with for MANY MANY
> years to come, long after the v4 space from the RIRs is all exhausted.
>
> Please don't cause me 5 years of unnecessary grief just to extend the v4
> space for another week, I have more than enough routers with more than
> enough problems correctly handling large numbers of bgp paths and/or fib
> entries as it is. :)

In fact, it's been argued that the discrepancy in region runout rates may
actually hinder our chances of a successful transition to IPv6, and under
such a school of thought, it might be perfectly reasonable to treat all
network infrastructure as discrete networks, and allow organizations to
"top off" those POPs which have >80% utilization, even if overall usage
is not yet achieved 80%.   This may or may not be deemed to be appropriate
stewardship by the community given routing implications as well as the need
to maximize the transition IPv6 success odds, but it is worth consideration.
(Note - the regional discrepancy issue we'll hear more about on Wednesday in
at least one presentation during the joint NANOG/ARIN portion of the program.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO