[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-159 IPv6 Subsequent Allocations Utilization Requirement

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 21 20:56:03 EST 2011

On Nov 21, 2011, at 4:25 PM, Aaron Hughes wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 02:24:05PM -0500, William Herrin wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>>> ARIN-prop-159 IPv6 Subsequent Allocations Utilization Requirement
>>> Proposal Originator: Aaron Hughes
>>
>>> NRPM section 2.16 Utilized (IPv6)
>>> 3. Tie down blocks shall be considered fully utilized, for the purpose of
>>> subsequent allocations, when the first reassignment is made from the tie
>>> down pool. (e.g. a /36 tie down for customer /48s will be considered
>>> utilized for subsequent allocations once the first /48 is assigned from the
>>> /36).
>>
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> I assume you mean topological aggregated customer entry points, where
>> you want "tie down" customer assignments so they share a common route
>> within your infrastructure. "Tie down" is not defined in the NRPM.
>
> It would be good to define "Tie down" in the NRPM, and yes, I mean topological aggregated customer entry points, however, others may define this in more generic terms of groupings.

Suggest adding a section 2 definition of "Tie down" as "an aggregate allocation by an LIR/ISP to a serving site".
(The term serving site was defined as part of 2011-3 IIRC).

The other option would be to modify the proposal to refer to blocks allocated to serving sites instead of using
the new term "tie down".

Owen