[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Revised Assessment

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Nov 10 15:42:22 EST 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> We can agree to disagree. The participants comment asked for
> clarification and called them "much different" and the Chair agreed.
> The intent of the room was from the collegiate definition of the word,
> not the ARIN definitions, which are typically vague at best. :-)
>
> That we're down to viewing video and arguing about tonal inflections
> is problematic in itself.

Correct.  As I noted, it is up to each member of the community to
judge for themselves the scope of changes that were requested.

However, it is quite clear that question called for the draft policy
(after corrections) to be sent to last call.  Furthermore, the AC has
always had the ability to rewrite draft policies as it sees fit in
order to produce the best possible policy (i.e. it does not require
any direction from the PPM to do so), with the protection that if the
Advisory Council sends a draft policy to last call that is different
from the one presented at the Public Policy Meeting, then the Advisory
Council will provide an explanation for all changes made to the text.

This is why it does not matter if the community meant "correct the
policy only by making adjustments" or not, as the AC has ability to
rewrite draft policy text (with the protection noted above) if they
feel it will improve the result.  You may not be aware of the policy
development process, but it has indeed been followed correctly.

In this phase, the community provides feedback regarding the changes
made after the Public Policy Meeting. If you have any feedback on the
changes or improvements to the policy language, you should send to
such to PPML list.  To date, you have provided no feedback on the
draft policy as revised, so it is difficult to determine what aspects
(if any) of the revised policy language you object to.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s.  Also, we have just had a consultation on the proposed update
      to the Policy Development Process, and while it has closed, I
      will take directly any suggestions for changes to that process
      that folks feel are necessary for improvement.