[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue May 24 17:28:58 EDT 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 4:29 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Wouldn't STLS facilitate this?
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Owen
>
> On May 24, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
>
>> I hate to say it, but on aggregation issue, I do agree with Mike, in that the anti-disaggregation clause likely makes it fairly difficult to find space. I do think the clause could work, but I think without a full single market front, it makes it extremely difficult to pair need with availability for exact sized blocks. Are we just leaving it to the market to create such service and until then, its on the needers to find their exact aggregated blocks?
>>
>> -Blake

Owen -

I do not know the extent that the Specified Transfer Listing Service (STLS)
will be utilized by parties looking for others with address space.  It is
presently available, and parties that have space, need space, or wish to
match parties can all participate. (ARIN does not do any matching of parties,
as that is a function that the industry appears quite capable of serving)

To date, none of the 10 specified transfers that have occurred have made
use of the STLS (to my knowledge).  Of course, it is also true that ARIN
still has IPv4 space generally available, so we likely have not seen the
real start of the demand curve for such transfers, and the future may
indeed hold much greater use of the specified transfer listing service
In any case, if use of STLS is the expected mechanism to address specific
policy side effects, then that should be made clear to the extent possible.

Operationally, a disaggregation clause may require additional information
to be requested and considered on the part of the buyer, with potential for
additional uncertainty in a transfer.  It may still be desirable by the
community to have such a disaggregation clause, but the benefits provided
should be carefully considered in light of potential consequences.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO