[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 19 20:06:17 EDT 2011

Hi John,

I am being assailed with claims that very very few transactions will occur
which will not meet the ARIN needs requirements.
And requests for proof that these transactions have, and will, occur.
The facts of the matter have been laid out, and all I said was that this
alignment with ex-post-facto need determination and the already negotiated
sale was fortuitous.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/051111-nortel-ipv4-sale.html

Per the article above, I am not by any means alone in my perception that the
MS/Nortel deal very easily could have occurred outside ARIN's purview had
not the crucial factor of the needs analysis been met.
Nothing that I said in the paragraph you reference is contrary to John
Curran's answer about the MS/Nortel deal, nor does it involve NDA
information.
The deal was made and negotiated prior to ARIN's involvement, and should
other such deals occur, if their needs requirement is not recognized by
ARIN, the deal goes down off the books. And I reiterate that ARIN head Plzak
declared that ARIN does not control legacy addresses. That means to me at
the very least that legacy deals can be done without notifying ARIN, and if
notifying ARIN requires the transactors to undergo a needs test, and not
notifying ARIN has little cost in terms of routabilty, then the transaction
will occur and the community will be in the dark.

Regards,
Mike