[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-150 Reclamation Hold

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri May 13 22:02:40 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 8:49 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-150 Reclamation Hold

I am in favor of a brief reclamation hold. I am opposed to this
proposal, because the
duration is unreasonably long,  and by being unreasonably long it thwarts the
benefit of reclamation.

This is like baking a pie,  and deciding to let it sit out to cool for
90 days before eating,
so as to avoid the undesirable consequence of burning your mouth.
The problem is the wait is excessive, and when it finally lapses, you will find
it moldy and its usefulness expired  before anyone could eat it.

Early re-use of resources can have some undesirable consequences;
however,  not having sufficient resources can also have some
undesirable consequences.

> Add a new section to the NRPM:
> "All resources reclaimed by ARIN shall not be returned to the free pool
> or otherwise reassigned to any entity than the original registrant for a
> period of 36 months."

I would favor a rule that IP addresses may be held after reclamation,
but before becoming eligible for reassignment at the discretion of ARIN staff,
no less  than 90 days,   and no  more  than  270 days.

With the understanding that long hold periods are for IP addresses
which are reclaimed after involuntary revokation, lack of use, hijacking, etc.

And short hold periods are to be used for voluntarily returned resources.
For example "return and renumber" deals.

> As the pressures on the system become greater with IPv4 runout, there
> will be more call for ARIN to reclaim address space. When addresses that
> are reclaimed are reused too soon, a variety of undesirable outcomes may
> result. This provides sufficient time for the resources to go unused

If they are not used soon enough, a variety of undesirable outcomes may
result  (unavailability of IP addresses).

> prior to reassignment and/or to be re-justified by the original
> registrant, or returned to the proper holder in the case of hijackings.

The concept of applying a hold here, is counter to the goal of network
stability;
in case of hijackings, the return to the proper holder should be as
soon as possible,
if there is one.

> This policy could be restricted to IPv4 space, but it may be useful for
> AS numbers and has no major impact on IPv6 space (due to the large free
> pool), so it might as well apply to all.

I would support a  18 month hold on reclaimed AS numbers and
an indefinite hold on reclaimed IPv6 space.

AS-numbers are not likely to be exhausted; so it makes sense to hold
them longer,
to avoid any possible confusion.

Unless there is a shortage, or ARIN needs more IPv6 resources,
the community should consider every properly obtained IPv6 allocation
permanent,  to keep things simple.

Reclamation efforts there (at this time) would just be
unnecessary/wasteful labor

--
-JH