[arin-ppml] Just a reminder of some quick mathematics for IPv4 that shows the long term impossibility of it

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 13 15:34:13 EDT 2011

> Perhaps, a more salient point is simply that while resources may be relatively inelastic that doesn't mean there isn't some elasticity available in efficient utilization of resources, even if that elasticity comes with some undesirable side effects. The supply of arable land in supporting population and improvements in agriculture and sanitation come to mind as a historical example. NAT and host headers are examples I can think of for IPv4.  I suppose the real question is how much elasticity is left in IPv4 utilization and what are the consequences of efforts to increase it?

Fortunately for me, since I have signed the LRSA, your efforts can pry my useful globally unique addresses from my cold dead fingers.

> Note, that I think the "rat" probably isn't significantly bothered by the cage even if it knows it's there....if all it really cares about doing is updating it's Facebook page and checking what movies are playing at the local cinema. It really depends on what the individual "rat" desires to achieve. The cage may limit it's options, but if none of the options the "rat" cares about happen to be limited by the cage...then it's presence is pretty much inconsequential to that individual "rat".

Well, this rat cares about a great deal more. I host several web sites, operate my own authoritative DNS and mail servers, and make
a multitude of remote services available for my use when I am away from home. All of this operates from within my house and I am
very glad to be able to use it as such.

All without paying a dime to anyone like Citrix (gotomy<whatever I can't get to directly due to NAT damage>) or anyone else
other than my base internet access charges.

> Note that this isn't an argument particularly for or against NAT (even though I personally find it useful) nor IPv6 adoption. Just pointing out that not everyone necessarly wants to get the exact same things out of their access to the internet.

Granted. I wasn't saying that there weren't users that could function behind a NAT, merely that I didn't feel anyone that didn't want
to be there should be forced there other than by arrival too late to the party to get an available IPv4 address.

Owen