[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 17:59:41 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 11:21 AM, George Herbert wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> ARIN has a moral, if not legal (the legal status is somewhat unknown) to continue to provide
>> services to the original legacy registrant of certain resources. That obligation is non-transferable.
>
> This statement disturbs me, and I do not support it.

Interesting...

> There's a worldview about the "ownership question" in which this is a
> valid view, but we do not have community consensus that that's the
> best worldview to have, and in particular I think it would be
> endangering the community stewardship role ARIN and other RIRs are
> supposed to have to be this exclusive.

I don't believe that's true.  I believe the portion of my statement that you take
issue with below reflects the current practice at ARIN, but, is not part of
what you quoted.

> It's reasonable to suggest that RSA, LRSA, or some variant RSA for
> *current* transfers is a reasonable minimum expectation.  Asserting
> that it's necessary for pre-existing transfers, particularly those by
> acquisition, where WHOIS was not properly updated but the business and
> usage are legit, seems ... improper, at this time.

It is current practice and has been for several years.

> I expect ARIN to accurately reflect reality, and not attempt to retcon.

To a certain extent, I agree. However, transfers outside of policy (an
acquisition fits nicely in 8.2, actually, in most circumstances) are not
really reality, they are, in essence, hijacking of community resources.

Should an organization be able to imagine that they are entitled
to something and then have ARIN reflect their imagination as
reality? I am not so convinced.

Owen