[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 11 18:09:09 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

<snip>

> In a post-exhaust world, human greed will ensure address are used
> efficiently,

While I agree with the vast majority of Tom's and Owen's comments, I
think the above sentence is really the crux of my opposition.  Leaving
aside the morality of the whole "Greed is Good" discussion, the goal
of the RIR system is not "efficiency".  The goals, IIRC, are
uniqueness, registration and conservation.

It just makes no sense to me to abandon a needs basis just because we
are getting closer to the bottom of the pool.  I think a needs basis
may be even more important as the crunch comes.

While hoarding/speculation/arbitrage are things I am concerned about,
they are not necessarily my primary concern.

BTW, would you be in favor of an IPv4 futures market, where companies
don't actually buy and sell address blocks, they just buy and sell
contracts to buy/sell v4 blocks at some future date?

I think Owen is spot on that "the risk to whois accuracy is relatively
low and is a spectre" (although I would call it a red-herring).

I also think your characterisation of ARIN actions as "shabby" is unwarranted.

In short, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
I doubt either one of us will be able to change the others fundamental
perspective.

--
Cheers,

McTim