[arin-ppml] Draft Proposal for Needs-Free IPv4 Transfers

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Tue May 10 14:24:20 EDT 2011

Hi Owen,

>Transfers outside of policy are indistinguishable to ARIN from hijackings.
>If the
>recorded recipient is no longer utilizing the addresses and they have been
>hijacked,
>ARIN has a responsibility, IMHO, to reclaim those addresses and issue them
>to an
>appropriate party through standard ARIN policy.
>Owen

But these transfers do happen, and for ARIN to declare them all hijackings,
even though legacy holders have no agreement with ARIN to notify them of
transfers, is a recipe for the ignoring and increasing irrelevance of whois.

I hate to keep harping on this, but the bankruptcy docs clearly say these
addresses were allocated to Nortel's "predecessors in interest" in the early
1990s.
Since ARIN became notified that the recorded recipient was no longer
utilizing the addresses, why didn't ARIN excercise their responsibility to
reclaim those addresses and issue them to an appropriate party through
standard ARIN policy?

Because there is no standard ARIN policy which would allow them to reclaim
legacy space.

Regards,
Mike