[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat May 7 14:09:17 EDT 2011

On 4/22/11 11:34 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> I think it's right that we start creating frameworks by which
> addresses can move between regions or even pool up and become
> available for IETF designation via RFC. Have we considered that? The
> IETF doesn't have a way to get addresses to facilitate new
> technologies either, and that hurts us all.

The IETF directs IANA to assign resources through the vehicle of an RFC.
If the assertion is there's no global unicast prefix out of which the
IETF can assign new addressing resources, then that's probably as it
should be. there's always 240/4 if you can scope the application to
something that does not rely on hosts being able to route it.