[arin-ppml] Draft proposal that needs some wordsmithing

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Fri May 6 14:21:12 EDT 2011

> While a market does bring the benefit of an address holder becoming
> more efficient in their use of addresses due to potential gains for
> freeing space, I do not see where the removal of needs justification
> further enhances this market. Even with our current policies in-place,
> including justification, a market is developing that will meet this
> enhanced efficiency.

Hi Andy,

I have given some examples in other threads about potential buyers who could
not meet ARIN's needs requirements.

> <snip>
>
>> My argument is that retaining needs analysis to approve transfers is no
>> longer required to ensure efficiency, and maintaining it can cause
>> transactions to go off-books, to the detriment of all.
>
> True, needs justification is no longer necessary to improve
> efficiency. However, it does prevent price inflation due to
> speculation and hoarding. As such, I do not support removing needs
> justification from policy.
>
> Andrew Koch
> andrew.koch at gmail.com

I believe, as I said to Owen, that you are arrogating the fear of hoarding
and speculation over the stewardship value of maintaining whois accuracy.
Whereas there are no examples of IP address hoarders or speculators, there
is plenty of evidence that whois suffers when real legal transactions happen
outside ARIN's purview.

Regards,
Mike