[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Fri May 6 10:51:55 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On May 6, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
>
>> Let's refer to this chart:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DiffusionOfInnovation.png . By this
>> assertion, ~50% of resource holders are going to be late to adopt and
>> will inevitably be hurt by IPv4 policies that are in place today.
>
> To the extent that any of the those parties need resources, that's
> provided by having a specified transfer policy (which is already
> present in the ARIN region).  Can you better characterize how they
> will be "hurt" by present policies?
>
> Thanks!
> /John
>
> John Curran
> President and CEO
> ARIN

John,

I was referring to the current limitations of 12 month supply,
justified need, and so forth. In contrast, the /32 we were recently
issued is more like a 12 year supply. Once we fully migrate to IPv6 we
most likely will never have to come back to ARIN for more resources,
at least not in the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, migrating to IPv6 is very costly. I'm spending
thousands in engineering time migrating our network to dual stack,
carriers don't have sufficient experience in IPv6 to avoid annoying
problems, and many vendors don't have IPv6 support, yet. We have some
hardware that we will not be able to use on our v6 net and even cPanel
doesn't have IPv6 support, yet.

Once we stop breathing the IPv6 fumes the reality sets in that 4-to-6
migration will continue to be a long and painful process. In the near
term, there will be companies who wish to secure enough IPv4 resources
to support not only current, but future need. Conservation measures in
place right now make this more difficult. Prop-147 should help relieve
some pressure, especially if my recommendation to extend need to 36
months is implemented. Ultimately, allowing resource holders to opt
out of the current system and freely exchange resources, much like
premium domain names, would go even further to not only solve this
issue but to make IPv6 look way more attractive.

If ARIN declines to allow justification-less transfers, would be
resource vendors will stay on the black market. I hear a lot of gouge
in C-squad circles about how acquisitions are being conducted just to
conduct illicit transfers of /17 - /20 allocations. The justifications
that are being used to hold on to resources seem really loose. I made
one fraud report last year and it was closed without action. I won't
criticize ARIN for that action; I merely wish to point out that the
black market and false resource justifications are alive and well.

We can eliminate the IP black market by allowing justification-less transfers.

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team
jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net | http://www.blacklotus.net