[arin-ppml] Serious question for the list.

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:59:55 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> On 5/5/11 11:49 CDT, Mike Burns wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have had an idea.
>>> Since it has been determined that everybody in the ARIN community with
>>> an email address may participate in policy development, how does the
>>> list feel about soliciting the input from a broader group of participants?
>>
>> While not an absolute requirement, I believe there is an understanding that
>> some minimal  level of technical expertise and interest in the details of
>> the subject matter are necessary in order to provide useful or meaningful
>> contribution to the process.
>>

> So we would exclude members of the general public (users) then?

For what it's worth -

I am currently in the user side of things, and have spent much more
professional life in non-ISP work than ISP work.

Some other members are at least between ISPs...

I also count as "old guard" in one sense - my first ISP was in 1992,
and I've been on NANOG for decades - though I just joined PPML
recently.  I personally am not against rethinking the status quo on
address ownership, but I am against half-assed paradigm shifts.  That
way lies madness.

The proponents here have not answered my questions regarding the
fundamental issues and goals and I won't support any changes that have
not had an open and honest in-depth discussion of both goals and
consequences of such shifts.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com