[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 2 22:08:33 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> No, I want the question of whether to allow competitive non-regional
> registries to be decided by an entity other than one composed of
> non-competitive regional registries who currently enjoy a monopoly on
> registration services.
>
> There is a conflict of interest there. Let the venue be moved to a higher
> level.

Mike,

The higher level in the authority chain is the community itself (i.e.
the folks who participate on lists like this one in each of the
regions and at the IETF). ICANN is subservient to the RIRs with
respect to addressing, i.e. a lower level in the food chain.

In other words, metaphorically speaking you'll have to take this one
to the voters.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004