[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon May 2 14:28:17 EDT 2011

On 5/2/11 11:48 CDT, Mike Burns wrote:
>> Can you be more specific? The ICANN ASO? the ICANN BoT? the IANA?
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Keep going, all the organizations above are suspect due to the fact that
> they are all comprised of the same basic group of RIR designees.
>
> I would take it to NTIA like DNS.
>
> And I would use DNS as a template for the creation of the global policy
> restrictions John Curran asked about, which restrictions would apply to
> all registries, regional or commercial.
> Just as all DNS registrars must meet certain qualifications, so would
> private registries of number space.
>
> Let the NTIA hear arguments from the proposer and from the ASO, the
> ICANN BoT, and IANA, although I suspect they will all sound the same.

And why do you think the global Internet governance community will be
happy with the DoC or NTIA (US Gov) being the arbiter of this situation?
  The global community wants the US Gov less directly in control of
Internet, not more in control.

It is in the interest of everyone involved the RIRs, IANA, ICANN, the
majority of Legacy Address holders, and everyone who supports a free and
open Internet for this to be resolved within the Internet industry
self-governance frame work in this situation ICANN or maybe IETF.  If we
involve government regulators as more than just another stake-holder in
the overall process, then I fear that ultimately the ITU will be put in
charge.  The ITU would not be a good body for anyone involved in this
discussion to be the arbiter of this situation.

An open discussion is necessary and the only way this is going to be
resolved.  If you don't think that it is a good idea to change the
system with alternate registries or removal of the needs basis, you
still need to respectively listen to the proponents of changing the
system.  And those that want to change the system, you need to provide
reasoned proposals, arguments, and counter arguments, not just one or
twice, but over and over.  You are asking for big changes, if your
changes are going to work you need a large portion of the community to
accept your new ideas, this take time and hard work, but in the end the
system what ever it ends up being will be better for it.

I think most people realize that things are going to change, but I'm not
sure we have a consensus on how to react to those changes and how the
system will change to meet the new realities.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952