[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-138 IPv6 Size Category Alignment

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 14 20:32:05 EDT 2011

On 3/14/11 17:15 CDT, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 3/14/2011 3:05 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>>
>> The problem I with this proposal is that sets the default billing size
>> for all ISPs to the X-small size, which has the probable side effect
>> of a significant impact on ARIN's revenue from fees in the long term.
>
> 1) IPv6 itself already has this impact, as far fewer upgrade requests
> will be coming in, and with luck fewer people will need their own space.

Yes, but this would create a much steeper slope for that change.

> 2) How is ARIN's revenue a policy development issue?

It is not directly one, however the cost of implementation is considered
as part of a policies evaluation, and a reduction of revenue is a
potential cost of the implementation of this policy that would have to
be understood.

And as I said Fees are not policy matters, but this issue entangles
policy and fees in a way that I'm not sure you can completely and
cleanly separate the two.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952