[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 30 10:15:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> The braindead concept that 6to4 gateways are required is driven by the
> myopic view of the content providers.

Tony,

I wish that was the case. Sadly, traffic is two-way. Even if the
content providers encapsulate the packets back to IPv4 before they
leave their network, the the client-side's nearest usually
volunteer-run anycast gateway from the v4 to the v6 core also has to
be reasonably located.

I like the 6to4 protocol. I too wish its use had turned out
differently. But the unfortunate choice not to allow its prefixes to
migrate into the global table guaranteed it would be a side show
instead of the major transition tool that would have smoothed the path
into v6.

>> Sadly, I must report the story to be false. My Windows 7 laptop did
>> not, in fact, install a 6to4 adapter or configure an IPv6 address when
>> I reprogrammed my DHCP server to give out a global scope IPv4 address.
>> And the Teredo Tunneling interface remained in state "Media
>> disconnected." Indeed, only the normal fe80 link local IPv6 address
>> configured itself on my machine.
>>
>> You are mistaken sir.
>
> Look around, because your symptoms indicate there is an IPv4 firewall
> filtering both 6to4 and teredo packets.

Ordinarily. However, in my tests last night I removed that equipment
from the path. And I should know. I personally built the network in
question all the way out to where it trades BGP upstream.

But then, if Windows is smart enough to test for actual connectivity
before bringing up a v6 auto-tunnel my point is proven anyway. It'll
fail to find 6to4 connectivity in the NAT444 scenario using a public
scope IPv4 address, invalidating Joel's claim of relevance to ARIN
proposal 2011-5.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004