[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 29 15:34:18 EDT 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> This logic is hard coded just about everywhere. Check your Windows machine and see what it does based on which IP address it is configured with.
>>> One could reverse your comment and say: ISP who do not take this fact into account take the risk of generating high volume of service call.
>>>
>>> - Alain.
>>
>> But the only place it will matter in these cases is the home gateways.
>
> Actually it exists anywhere a home pc is directly connected to the cable modem, like my grandfathers house for example...
>
> And, the logic exists in home gateways, that you can buy at frys, they say linksys on them, and and d-link and so forth.

Any place NAT444 gets implemented with non-1918 addresses (which I think is likely to be the vast majority of NAT444
deployments), this assumption will break. Allocating this /10 won't change that fact, it will just reduce the total number
of addresses allocated for that purpose _AND_ allow firmware updates to address that breakage if the CPE/OS vendors
choose to do so.

Owen