[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 28 12:52:49 EDT 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
>>

> [ snip ]

>>> consortium and
>>> consortium
>>> they
>>>>

>> Maybe if we asked nicely Microsoft would set aside a /10 of their new IP's for five years to allow the community to use it for this purpose.  ;)  OK, that was more than a little tongue in cheek, but it would be a good PR effort for them.
>>

> I would think that either ARIN can move forward with the policy
> "as-is" or it can't. If it can't, there's no mechanism that I can see
> that allows a 'donation' of the address space to such an activity. I'm
> not disagreeing that this should move forward _in the IETF_, but
> shouldn't the IETF find the addresses for this from what's available,
> including striking a deal with the RIR's? Hence, my comment regarding
> "various registries" as the source of the addresses seemed like a
> reasonable candidate.

Actually, if I had a /10 laying around and made a public announcemnet
of:

	1.	I promise not to use these addresses in a manner that will
		conflict with people using it for this purpose.

	2.	I will inform the community with as much notice as possible
		before giving up the address space.

It would pretty much work as a donation. I don't have a /10 laying around
I could do that with, but, yes, whether as a matter of strict policy or not,
such a donation would be possible from a purely pragmatic perspective.

The willingness of others to depend on such a donation would, of course,
be somewhat variable.

Owen