[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:51:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

>> > I believe that the ISPs who need this space might be able to  form a
>> consortium and
>> > use this as a standard justification to have the IPs registered to the
>> consortium
>> > as an organization. It would be up to the consortium after that whether
>> they
>> > expressed a willingness for non-members to make duplicate use of their
>> > address space for this purpose or not.
>> >

> Maybe if we asked nicely Microsoft would set aside a /10 of their new IP's for five years to allow the community to use it for this purpose.  ;)  OK, that was more than a little tongue in cheek, but it would be a good PR effort for them.

I would think that either ARIN can move forward with the policy
"as-is" or it can't. If it can't, there's no mechanism that I can see
that allows a 'donation' of the address space to such an activity. I'm
not disagreeing that this should move forward _in the IETF_, but
shouldn't the IETF find the addresses for this from what's available,
including striking a deal with the RIR's? Hence, my comment regarding
"various registries" as the source of the addresses seemed like a
reasonable candidate.

Best,

-M<