[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

Alain Durand adurand at juniper.net
Mon Jun 27 18:03:58 EDT 2011

>>> The IAB believes that the adoption by ARIN would be in conflict with the
>>> provisions in RFC2860 and would set a bad precedent: Setting aside
>>> special addresses should be done within the existing process, i.e. by
>>> the IETF.
>

> In light of the IAB's objection, it seems to me that the ARIN board
> has four options to consider:
>
> 1. Submit an internet draft as the IAB requests, along with the
> implications of doing so.
>
> 2. Implement 2011-5  as recommended by the AC and community, and over
> the IAB's objection.
>
> 3. Abandon 2011-5. Proponents may make their case to the IETF.
>
> 4. Implement 2011-5 as a temporary stopgap policy pending further IETF action.

In their response, the IAB clearly states that 2011-5 creates address space that modifies the IP addressing architecture. This should not be done by RIRs. Period.
As such, I believe ARIN should abandon 2011-5 all together. Trying to stick it under the rug is a bad idea. If some wants to do that in the privacy of their networks, this is one thing,
ARIN doing it is another. That would set a very bad precedent that other SDO could follow to claim they can update IETF protocols on their own. Note: this is already happening with MPLS-TP,
for those who follow that discussion.

   - Alain.