[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment
On Jun 27, 2011, at 12:43 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> In light of the IAB's objection, it seems to me that the ARIN board
> has four options to consider:
> 1. Submit an internet draft as the IAB requests, along with the
> implications of doing so.
> 2. Implement 2011-5 as recommended by the AC and community, and over
> the IAB's objection.
> 3. Abandon 2011-5. Proponents may make their case to the IETF.
> 4. Implement 2011-5 as a temporary stopgap policy pending further IETF action.
Thanks for your analysis, Bill - I think this was a good write-up.
While I do agree with some of your conclusions in 2, in my opinion ARIN should first pursue option 1. If we can collaboratively agree on the reservation of Shared Transition Space, that would be preferred over ARIN acting alone. And if in the end the IETF and ARIN do not agree on this matter, we can consider choosing one of the other options at that time.
Given how drawn-out these things can become, I would also recommend ARIN hold back a /10 in reserve, until the IETF process concludes. In pursuing the IETF process, we should write a draft that indicates ARIN is willing to "donate" a /10 for this purpose. It would also be great to get co-authors from each RIR region, to act as local points of contact (although, probably not representatives).