[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIRTransfers -Shepherd's Inquiry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 23 19:13:04 EDT 2011

> On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
>> And I don't think ARIN has any rights to revoke or
>>reclaim legacy space unless they have an agreement
>>with the rights holder which gives them that right.

If they ever did, they surely gave it up under the doctrine of laches.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> You are incorrect, sir. ARIN is the successor registry
> to the earlier registries for this region. Those registries
> ALL issued the address space on the basis that it
> was issued to a particular organization for a
> particular purpose and should be returned when
> one or both of those criteria was no longer valid.

Owen,

None of these claims is accurate.

No purpose was requested or required for a legacy address allocation. The
closest thing was, "If a
class C network number is not acceptable for your purposes state why." The
field could be left blank if a class C was requested.

You were asked to "Identify [...] the responsible organization establishing
the network" however that was not understood to be a legal entity as ARIN
defines it today and it was not generally checked. The registrant
organization name was, in actual fact, whatever the POC claimed it to be.

Although there were instructions for how to submit a DELETE template, the
registrant was not asked to do so for any particular criteria.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004