[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIRTransfers -Shepherd's Inquiry

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu Jun 23 16:45:20 EDT 2011

Hi Owen,

You've been saying this stuff for years, but where is a section 12
reclamation of legacy space you can point to where the reclamation took
place due to the original registrant selling his addresses?

Where is any reclamation of legacy space which is not associated with actual
hijacking, voluntary return, or dissolution? Spamming or child porn? Any
examples?

The bankruptcy judge, need I remind you, found that Nortel had the exclusive
right to transfer addresses which were allocated to other companies, and for
which no ARIN transfer had ever taken place, and this was after all the
companies involved were bankrupt. I find this much more convincing than
allusions to RFCs and the writings of Jon Postel. Now if Mr. Postel had
actually created an agreement which could be legally construed as a
contract, you might have something. Absent that, you have only bluster which
grows more outdated each month.

As a test example, I was back at my alma mater last June and I spoke with
one of the campus computer engineers, who told me although he had 16 million
ip addresses to work with, most of the campus is Natted. Do you think I
should open up a ticket and inform ARIN that they should institute a section
12 review of MIT? Would you like to confront ARIN with that knowledge and
see if it nets the free pool a sizeable chunk of a /8?

ARIN controls Whois, I'm pretty sure that is what John Curran will say. ARIN
is within its legal rights to change Whois data in whatever way it pleases.
If ARIN wants to make Whois even more irrelevant, they can take the course
you prescribe, but since they have not done this, ever, the threat of
reclamation of legacy space is a nonstarter.

John Curran referencing ex post facto transfer requests demonstrates that
unreported transfers have occurred where the IP addresses worked fine after
they were transferred to another party.
If ARIN has no control over routing, and no legal ability to stop ip address
sales, their leverage is little. If the benefits of the transfers outweigh
the little costs which ARIN can apply, the transfers will happen.

Regards,
Mike

:

> Hi Owen,
>
> I don't think ARIN will be confronted with anything, I think they will be
> ignored.

When I say confronted, I mean becomes aware of. There are numerous ways in
which it is very likely ARIN will become aware of such things.

> And I don't think ARIN has any rights to revoke or reclaim legacy space
> unless they have an agreement with the rights holder which gives them that
> right.

You are incorrect, sir. ARIN is the successor registry to the earlier
registries for this region. Those registries ALL issued the address space on
the
basis that it was issued to a particular organization for a particular
purpose and should be returned when one or both of those criteria was no
longer
valid.

> Clearly they have no additional rights under section 12 to reclaim legacy
> space, that's explicit in the NRPM.

The words in NRPM 12 were chosen very carefully. The word additional is just
that. We added no ability to reclaim legacy space, but, the existing
abilities remain.

> So you would have to demonstrate some other source of that reclamation
> right.

Q.E.D. See above.

> It's not in any agreement between ARIN and the legacy holder, and it's not
> part of any agreement the legacy allocants had with ARIN's precursors.
> Where does it come from?

It is actually part of policies documented in earlier RFCs and in the
writings of Jon Postel as described above.

Owen