[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 -Inter-RIRTransfers -Shepherd's Inquiry

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu Jun 23 13:12:41 EDT 2011

> This falls back to the argument that illicit drug sales are going to
> happen anyway and we can't stop them so we should legislate and tax them.
> I personally don't buy that argument and I refuse to believe that we
> should facilitate a bad practice just because it is inevitable.
>
> The majority of drivers break speed limit laws, yet I still feel speed
> limit laws are good and necessary.  Even if rules don't completely
> eradicate a problem the existence of the rules can ameliorate the problem.

Hi Kevin,

Perhaps a return to Prohibition is in order, as it may ameliorate problems
associated with alcohol consumption.
Prohibition may indeed have reduced consumption, but its side effect was the
growth of organized crime.

Our "needs-based prohibition" will have the side effect of corrupting Whois
accuracy and driving transactions underground.
We dropped Prohibition when we learned of its costly side effect, I hope we
can drop the needs test before we have to learn about "Whois bypass" or a
duel involving a private registry and ARIN over contested address space, or
between ARIN and APNIC for that matter.

Regards,
Mike