[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIR Transfers - Shepherd's Inquiry

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Chris Grundemann
<cgrundemann at> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 15:08, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at> wrote:
>> I guess I'm not clear on what the consensus looks like at this point
>> since I'm under the impression that there is a significant lack of
>> support community wise.
> >From the straw poll at the PPM in San Juan (116 in the room):
> 1) 2011-1 as written? 18 in favor, 11 against
> 2) The principle of creating an inter-RIR transfer policy? 41 in
> favor, 1 against
> 3) The principle of a needs-based inter-RIR transfer policy? 36 in
> favor, 2 against
> I believe that is exactly what rough consensus looks like. I am forced
> to characterize that as a _significant *show* of support_ and denounce
> your claim to the contrary.

I'd say that points 2 and 3 is what consensus looks like. Point 1
looks like a bunch of the folks who show up from out-region raising
their hands -- not anything vaguely like ARIN-region consensus. This
seems confirmed by the views expressed on the PPML.

You'll get better attendance of ARIN-region net ops in Philly. If you
ask the same questions, you'll get much clearer results.

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at  bill at
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004