[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIR Transfers - Shepherd's Inquiry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 21 14:45:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow you here Bill. What I'm saying is I don't want ARIN
> to transfer resources to a region where the RIR does not preserve a
> needs-basis on subsequent transfers of the addresses. ARIN does
> preserve that requirement as the policy is currently written and I assure
> you I will remain opposed to and am opposed to the proposals that
> seek to change that.

Hi Owen,

I don't think we can't expect to control what the registrant does in
the future after we've released the resource to that region. When we
transfer the resource, we cede control to that region. If we want to
exclude a region because of the region's policies, the appropriate way
to do that is with a global policy to the effect of:

"RIRs may at their discretion institute bilateral number resource
transfer agreements permitting IPv4 address blocks no longer than /24
to be transferred between regions."

Not with vague language about compatible policies and needs basis.

I do think we can refuse transfers to entities whose prior behavior
has depleted them of the resources they now wish to transfer from our
region. This can be addressed under "meet both RIR's policies" by
setting local policy which applies to registrants requesting addresses
and transfers inside the ARIN region as well.

>>> There is at least one region where this is already the case. As such,
>>> the policy is timely now.
>>
>> There's a region in which ARIN's free pool is exhausted? Which one?
>>
> There is a region in which that region's free pool is exhausted.

I respect your opinion, but mine is that they made their bed and
should lie in it until ARIN's free pool is also exhausted. That's what
I'm saying.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004