[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIR Transfers - Shepherd's Inquiry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 21 12:25:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
> Please provide you immediate, concise feeback which states your position for
> or against the DP as changed from its earlier version and any reasoning you
> may wish to provide.
>
> "Address resources may be transferred.... in or out of the ARIN region to
> those who demonstrate need and plan to deploy them for a networking purpose
> within 3 months. Such transfers will take place between RIRs who share
> compatible, needs-based policies on behalf of entities agreeing to the
> transfer and which otherwise meet both RIR's policies. Transferred resources
> will become part of the resource holdings of the recipient RIR unless
> otherwise agreed by both RIRs."

Hi Bill,

Oppose.

1. "compatible needs-based policies" is too vague to enforce.
Including "needs-based" is nothing more than a poison pill aimed at
APNIC but even if you take that out, how the heck is ARIN supposed to
determine when another region's policies are "compatible?" The focus
belongs on the registrant who either meets both registries' policies
for receiving addresses or he doesn't.

Other than that, the language looks reasonable to me.

2. The timing of this proposal is bad. Pushing this policy prior to
the exhaustion of ARIN's free pool invites an out-region address grab.
This draft policy belongs on next year's agenda when the only
addresses left to move are registrant to registrant transfers.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004